Recently, famous footballer Emmanuel Adebayor reverted to Islam. The reactions to this were mixed — some were shocked, others upset, and still others happy that Adebayor did the right thing.
That said, why exactly did Emmanuel Adebayor turn towards Islam? Well, the talented striker himself has provided us with the answers, and The Herald recently published a thirteen-point list of Adebayor’s reasons for reverting to Islam.
In this post, I have summarized the 13 reasons that Adebayor provided for choosing Islam.
Why Did Emmanuel Adebayor Choose Islam?
- Jesus (PBUH) taught that there is only One God and only God should be worshipped as mentioned in Deut 6:4 and Mark 12:29. Muslims also believe this as taught in the Quran 04:171. Christians, on the other hand, worship God, His Son and Holy Spirit.
- Jesus (PBUH) did not eat pork as taught in Leviticus 11:7, and neither do Muslims as mentioned in the Quran 6:145. Christians, on the other hand, consume pork.
- Jesus (PBUH) greeted by saying “Peace be with you” in John 20:21. Muslims also greet each other this way, by using the Arabic phrase with the same meaning, “Assalam Alaykum”.
- Jesus (PBUH) always said “God be Willing”. Muslims use the Arabic phrase with the same meaning, “Insha Allah”, as taught in the Quranic verses 18:23-24.
- Jesus (PBUH) washed his face, hands, and feet before praying. All the Muslims do the same.
- Jesus (PBUH) and other prophets of the Bible prayed with their head to the ground (see Matthew 26:39). Muslims do the same as stated in the Quran 3:43.
- Jesus (PBUH) had a beard and wore a throbe. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) too had a beard and wore a throbe, and it is Sunnah for Muslim men to do the same.
- Jesus (PBUH) respected all the prophets before him, (see Matthew 5:17). Muslims do it too as taught in the Quran 3:84 and 2:285.
- Jesus (PBUH)’s mother Maryam (PBUH) dressed modestly by fully covering her body and wearing a headscarf (hijab) as found in Timothy 2:9, Genesis 24:64-65, and Corinthians 11:6. Muslim women dress in the same manner and wear the hijab, as ordained in the Quran 33:59.
- Jesus (PBUH) and other prophets of the Bible fasted up to 40 days (see Exodus 34:28, Daniel 10:2-6, Kings 19:8, and Matthew 4:1). Muslims are required to fast the full obligatory 30 days (see Quran 2:183), and others take it a step further by fasting an additional 6 days to increase their rewards.
- Jesus (PBUH) used to say “Peace to this house” when entering a home (see Luke 10:5), and he greet the people in the house with “Peace be unto you”. Muslims do exactly what Jesus did and taught; when entering a house, they say “Bismillah” and greet others with “Assalam Alaikum” as stated in the Quran 24:61.
- Jesus (PBUH) was circumcised. Circumcision is one of the five fitrah in Islam, and Muslim men are required to be circumcised. According to the Bible in Luke 2:21, Jesus was eight days old when he was circumcised. In the Torah, Allah/God stated to the Prophet Abraham (PBUH) that it is an “Everlasting covenant” (see Genesis 17:13). In the Quran 16:123, Muslims are required to follow the religion of Abraham (PBUH). The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said, “The Prophet Abraham (PBUH) circumcised himself when he was eighty years old.” (see Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 55, Number 575).
- Jesus (PBUH) spoke Aramaic and called God “Elah”, which is pronounced the same as “Allah”. Aramaic is an ancient Biblical language. It is one of the Semitic languages that also include Hebrew, Arabic and the ancient Assyrian and Babylonian languages of the Akkadians.
Quite obviously, Adebayor’s reasons have amazed and impressed many folks. It must also be added that he described Muslims as “the truest followers of Jesus Christ (PBUH)”.
Welcome to Islam, Emmanuel Adebayor! 🙂