Imam Ibn Taymiyyah (RA), in full Taqi al-Din ibn Taymiyyah, was a great Islamic scholar. He was born in 1263 CE in Harran, east of Damascus. Ibn Taymiyyah dedicated most of his life to learning, writing, and teaching. He was one of Islam’s most powerful theologians who focused on revealing the true essence of Islam based on Quran and Sunnah. As such, the importance of Ibn Taymiyyah quotes and sayings can never be underestimated.
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (RA) was an expert on Hadith, Tafsir and Fiqh. He was strictly against the innovations in religion and the innovators.
Ibn Taymiyyah (RA) was also a prominent political figure. His intellectual activities, preaching, and politics led to his imprisonment multiple times. For all his life, and even to this day, he was and remains a controversial figure.
That said, Ibn Taymiyyah (RA) was a distinguished scholar of Islam and he authored over three hundred books. He wrote most of his books during the years he spent in prison. Ultimately, he was banned from having access to any books, papers and pens in prison. He passed away in the year 1328 CE.
This post showcases five of the best Ibn Taymiyyah quotes that best highlight the wisdom and knowledge of this great scholar of Islam.
Ibn Taymiyyah Quotes: The Wisdom of Shaykh al-Islam
1. Guidance is not attained except with Knowledge and correct direction is not attained except with Patience.
2. The quickest answered prayer is the one done in secret for another person.
3. When someone offends me, I think it’s a gift from Allah. He is teaching me humility.
4. Islam revolves around knowing the truth and acting by it, and that action must be accompanied by patience.
5. What’s not done by the Permission of Allah will not happen, and what’s not done for the sake of Allah will not remain.
Need more? Check out our series about various Muslim scholars.